How to Apply

We Are Here to Help!

Our Financial Aid Officers specialize in personally assisting students who are interested in exploring their financial aid options. You can begin this process by letting your Admissions Representative know that you are interested in applying for financial aid. The Admissions Representative will set up an appointment for you to meet with a Financial Aid representative in the school’s Financial Aid Department.

You must meet certain eligibility requirements to receive financial aid. If you have any questions about these requirements or if you think you may not meet one of them, contact the Financial Aid Department at your campus.To be eligible to receive federal aid, you must:

  • Not be in default on a prior federal education loan or owe repayment on a prior federal grant.
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or diploma in an eligible program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security number.
  • Make satisfactory academic progress if you are a continuing student, as established in your school catalog.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
  • Not have been convicted of certain drug offenses.
  • Sign a statement of educational purpose and certification statement on overpayment and default (both found on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form [FAFSA] mentioned below).

Determine Your Dependency Status

If you answer “yes” to any of the questions below, you are considered an independent student for federal financial aid purposes and your parents will not need to answer the parent questions on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

If you answer “no” to all of these questions, you are considered a dependent student for federal financial aid purposes and your parents will need to answer the parent questions on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

  • Will you be 24 years old before December 31 in the academic year?
  • Are you married?
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have legal dependents who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you (other than a spouse or children)?
  • Are you an orphan?
  • Were you a ward of the court until age 18?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

How Federal Aid Is Awarded

When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and indicate our City College as of your choice, we will be able to receive an ISIR (Institutional Student Information Report) electronically. The ISIR will contain an EFC (Expected Family Contribution) figure.

The EFC is determined by a set federal formula and relates to the amount that you (and your parents, if you are a dependent student) might be expected to pay for direct and indirect costs for one academic year. The EFC is used by the school to determine your eligibility for federal aid.

Tips For Filling Out The FAFSA

Follow the instructions carefully. Get organized, gather your personal and family financial records and find a quiet location where you can work on the application.

Here’s a checklist of records you may need:

  • Last year’s federal tax return forms 1040/1040A/1040EZ and W2 forms. If you can’t find last year’s return, call the Student Financial Services Department and we will help you obtain a copy from the Internal Revenue Service.
  • Savings account and investment statements.
  • Information relating to income, including wages, dividends, Social Security benefits, welfare payments, alimony or child support, Veterans Administration benefits and disability benefits.

Other Information About The FAFSA

  • All information provided to the school will be kept confidential. We are in compliance with the provisions of the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This law regulates the release of any personal information.
  • Involve other family members who must provide information. For example, your parent(s) will need to complete the parent section of the form if you are classified as a dependent student for federal financial aid purposes.
  • Remember to electronically sign the form with pin and that a parent must also electronically sign if you are a dependent student.

Please feel free to call or contact our Student Financial Services Department for help!


How can we help you achieve your goals?

By clicking the button in the form on this page, I understand that City College may call or text me about educational services at the phone number provided, including a wireless number, using automated technology. Your information will only be used by City College.