Why become a Surgical Technologist
It’s safe to say that some decisions in life are harder than others. We’re not talking pizza or Chinese takeout kind of decisions here. But deciding on what career path to choose is one that can quite literally change your life. For those of you who’ve pondering about you future career, and have managed to narrow it down to the healthcare industry, there are still so many career paths to choose from! So, how do you decide? Well, if you’re one of those people who couldn’t wait for frog dissection day in 10th grade biology and have always been detail-oriented, you might want to consider a career in the exciting world of Surgical Technology.
Surgical technologists, or as they are often referred to as, surgical techs – are the right (or left) hand men or women backing up the surgeon by performing a variety of essential tasks. Surgical techs prepare operating rooms for surgeries by sterilizing surgical equipment, stocking supplies and assisting during surgeries by handing the surgeon their instruments. That means knowing exactly what those instruments are and also knowing how that surgeon operates. (literally) It can also involve cleaning and disinfecting patients before surgery or bandaging and dressing incisions in post-op settings. Now that you have an idea of what surgical techs actually do, you may still be asking why would I choose to become a surgical tech? Yes, some decisions are harder than others. That’s why we’ve rounded up the top 5 reasons for you to consider why this might be the right career path for you!
- First and foremost – Well, it may not the first consideration or the most important to some people. But obviously, earning a decent living is a consideration when you’re deciding on a path for your future. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual wage for a surgical technologist in 2017 was $46,310*! Sounds pretty decent?
- Wake me up when my shift is over – Hmmmm, no. If you loathe the idea of “routine” and thrive on a more adrenalin filled lifestyle, consider the life of a surgical tech. Let’s face it, emergencies happen every day and as a surgical tech, you’re likely to be experiencing something different, pretty much- every day. Translation? Never a dull day.
- In the door way before – Before a lot of other people pursuing careers in healthcare, like physicians or actual surgeons. Most surgical technology programs can be completed in as little as 24 months. So, you’ll be able to get your career off the ground faster and be on your way to earning!
- Mobility, flexibility, employability – It’s true! When you graduate as a surgical tech, your newly acquired abilities are skills you can take – just about anywhere! If you decide to pick up and move to Timbuktu, guess what? They have hospitals, clinics and ORs there too! That sure gives you the flexibility to not just do what you want for a living, but to do it where you want to do it. Because with the number of jobs in surgical technology predicted to rise faster than average, increasing by as much as 12% by 2026* – your surgical technology skillset also provides you with valuable employability.
- Saving the best for last – Saving being the operative (pun intended) word here. Quite possibly the best reason to become a surgical tech is that you’ll get to be an important and essential part of a life-saving team! It’s hard to imagine a more rewarding reason than that.
Most of us are only one decision away from a totally different life. You can start by just deciding to learn more about your options. If you’re intrigued by the world of surgical technology, check out the program at City College! City College is helping students get the hands-on training and essential skills they need, to jump in and make their mark in operating rooms anywhere! Contact City College today to learn more, or to schedule a tour of one of our 3 campus locations offering the Surgical Technology program. It’s never too late to be what you might have become! Call City college today!