Have you always wanted to see what’s on the inside of a person? We mean, literally, see inside. As in, the high-tech world that is cardiovascular sonography. Most people probably know what a “sonogram” is and associate it with checking out the little guy or gal getting all grown up during those 9 months of pregnancy. In the case of cardiovascular sonography, it’s more of an inside peek at the heart, veins, and arteries. A cardiovascular technologist uses sophisticated ultrasound imaging equipment to get real-time images and data on the heart’s chambers, walls, valves and vessels. Basically, a snapshot of the cardiovascular system that can diagnose heart disease and a number of other conditions that a patient would definitely want to know about. And considering heart disease is the number one cause of death for men and women in the U.S., it’s pretty clear why cardiovascular sonography is a field that is growing at a higher than average rate and expected to increase by as much as 10% by 2026.
So, what does a cardiovascular sonography technologist actually do on a regular basis?
We’ve established the basics – ultra-sound imaging of the cardiovascular system. But it’s more than just learning to use the equipment. As a cardiovascular technologist, you’ll be learning many other things too, such as –
- Cardiac sonographers assist physicians in treating and diagnosing patients with cardiac and peripheral vascular problems by using ultrasound equipment.
- You’re responsible for preparing patients, taking medical histories, maintaining equipment and performing procedures.
- Cardiac sonographers also discuss the results with the physicians.
- Other duties may include explaining exam procedures to patients, monitoring patient heart rates and scheduling appointments.
- You may also perform Holter monitoring and stress testing.
- Career opportunities may include positions as adult and pediatric echocardiographer and non-invasive vascular ultrasound sonographers
Why pursue a career in cardiovascular sonography?
If it sounds like an interesting job, that’s because it is! Not only are you operating high-tech equipment that literally sees inside people, you are interacting with people from all walks of life. There is not likely to be a dull moment working as a cardiovascular sonography technologist. And let’s face it, this is a career that serves a pretty amazing and useful purpose in diagnosing serious heart and vascular conditions. So yes, you could literally help save somebody’s life.
Did we mention ….?
We mentioned that jobs for cardiovascular sonography technologists are growing at a faster than average rate. If you love technology and like the idea of helping people by using that technology to diagnose and prevent heart disease, this could be the path for you! Let’s recap the benefits of joining the field of cardiovascular sonography –
- It’s exciting ✔
- Pays well ✔
- Projected job growth is strong ✔
- Training can be completed in 2 years or less ✔
So, if you’re ready to get to the heart of an exciting career, you should check out the Cardiovascular Sonography program at City College in Hollywood, Florida! With the opportunity to get real hands-on instruction on advanced sonography equipment in real clinical environments during your training, City College can prepare you for a rewarding career in a field that is growing at a rapid pace. Contact City college today to learn more or to schedule a tour of our Hollywood campus.